Each week we will be highlighting important resources. Check back each Friday to see what we have dug up for you. From this week’s cache:
1. When Depression Descends, Do the Next Thing: John Piper – Piper says, “On this side of the cross, we know the greatest ground for our hope: Jesus Christ crucified for our sins and triumphant over death. So the main thing we must learn is to preach the gospel to ourselves.”
2. 11 Steps to Memorizing an Entire Book of the Bible: Andy Naselli – Naselli notes, “So how do we go about memorizing an extended section or an entire book of the Bible? Here are 11 basic steps I’ve followed and commend to others.”
3. Removing Fear Out of Friendship: Myra Dempsey – Dempsey says, “Remember, you have been redeemed for a reason. Jesus not only saves us from; he saves us to. When we are rescued out of the domain of darkness and transferred to the kingdom of the Son, it’s for a specific mission.”
4. 3 Barometers for Church Growth: Jim Fowler – Fowler notes, “How do we measure success in the church? Is it through programs, attendance, or finances? Though we can’t truly see another heart, actions reflect where our hearts are at. When we see baptisms taking place, we see individuals coming to know the Lord in such a way as they desire to make a public proclamation of an inward commitment.”
5. Five Steps to Meditating on the Bible: Kristen Wetherell – Wetherell says, “To meditate, then, is to think deeply about what God has said to us in the Bible and to prepare our minds and hearts for prayer. Scripture is the foundation of our praying; meditation readies us for it by helping us focus, understand, remember, worship, and apply.”
Matt Manry is the Assistant Pastor at Life Bible Church in Canton, Georgia. He writes at matthewwmanry.com.