Each week we will be highlighting important resources. Check back each Friday to see what we have dug up for you. From this week’s cache:
1. Theology Proper: The Antidote to Insatiable Desire: Whitney Woollard – Woollard says, “If you want to feast at the never-ending banquet and drink from the overflowing fountain that is God then theology proper is for you. If you’ve exhausted all of your resources looking for satisfaction in finite things (even good things!), it’s time to direct your affections towards the study of God, the One worthy of your endless pursuit.”
2. The Grace and Mercy of God: Chelsea Vaughn – Vaughn notes, “Some of the most memorable times in my life are when people I respect cry out for God. These times remind me how powerful and almighty he truly is. It’s a grace of discipleship that we don’t get everyday.”
3. What Getting Dumped Says About You: Paul Maxwell – Maxwell says, “God is in control. His love has not ceased to be what guides your life, your heart, your circumstances. Though you feel the sting of death in your soul, God’s resurrection life is what sustains you when you feel crushed, defeated, and hopeless. Your life and your heart are not ultimately in your hands. They never were, and that’s terrifyingly beautiful news.”
4. Duties of the Minister of the Gospel: Geoffrey Kirkland – Kirkland notes, “As a minster of the gospel of Jesus Christ, I do well to remember simple and essential truths from Scripture regarding my duties. I know myself and my tendency to veer off course, to pursue hobby-horses, and to do what’s comfortable and to neglect what’s difficult.”
5. A Church Transforming Proverb: David Murray – Murray says, “When your elders are dealing with a dispute or a case of discipline, they are bound to confidentiality. The person or people who are at the center of the controversy often do not exercise such self-restraint and will talk to others inside and outside of the church, presenting their side of the story and their opinions about how the elders have been dealing with them.”
Matt Manry is the Assistant Pastor at Life Bible Church in Canton, Georgia. He writes at matthewwmanry.com.