Each week we will be highlighting important resources. Check back each Friday to see what we have dug up for you. From this week’s cache:
1. Four-Dimensional Confessionalism: Cody Glen Barnhart – Barnhart says, “Confession links to affection. What we confess with our mouths must be believed in our hearts. We cannot serve two masters. Give your affections to Jesus. They were created for him, and he will put them to their best use.”
2. 5 Words That Weaken Every Sermon: Jason K. Allen – Allen notes, “Preaching is God’s ordained method to convey his Word and build his church. As such, preaching is every pastor’s principle responsibility and every church’s primary need. Therefore, every pastor must preach, and preach well, every Lord’s day.”
3. God’s Grace is Mind-Blowing: Phillip Holmes – Holmes says, “As I began to process this, I was blown away. God is neither motivated by his own sinfulness nor enabled by his ignorance. He is a holy and righteous God, completely void of sin and full of goodness and love. He’s never made a mistake and can do anything but fail. He is perfect in all his ways. If he were a doctor, he’d never lose a patient. If he were a lawyer, he’d never lose a case. There is no moral compass that could measure how upright and blameless he is.”
4. One of the Strangest Commands in the Bible: Mark Altrogge – Altrogge notes, “God puts us in impossible situations so we’ll rely completely on him. So we’ll pray. So when God comes through we won’t say, ‘My own hand has saved me.’ Are you facing an impossible situation? Whatever it is, keep trusting God.”
5. You Cannot Domesticate Pride: Erik Raymond – Raymond says, “Pride is not something to take lightly. It is something to be identified and mortified. That is, we as Christians are to be aware of our susceptibility to it, search our hearts for it, and actively work to remove it through repentance and faith in Christ.”
Matt Manry is the Assistant Pastor at Life Bible Church in Canton, Georgia. He writes at matthewwmanry.com.